Health Advice

Illustration of person looking into a mirror, by Marja de Sanctis, 2015
Illustration (Mirror) by Marja de Sanctis, 2015 (MA Illustration, Camberwell College of Arts 2014)

The Health Advice Service provides advice and information to students at University of the Arts London on registering with a doctor (GP) in the UK and about any other aspect of health and well-being.

Advice is available for students who have questions or concerns about:

  • lifestyle (including alcohol, drugs and smoking)
  • healthy eating
  • physical wellbeing
  • infectious diseases
  • sexual health
  • mental health.

Students usually meet with a health adviser at a one to one appointment at their College, or at the Student Centre at High Holborn but advice can also be offered by telephone or by email, if it is difficult to attend an appointment.

If you have applied for a course at UAL and would like to speak to a health adviser before it starts, please email This could be about a pre-existing medical condition, access to specific medication in the UK, if you will be coming from abroad, understanding how the National Health Service (NHS) works, or anything else.

Meeting a health adviser

The mental health advisers are part of the Health Advice team and can provide advice, information and support regarding mental health and well-being.

At an appointment, the student will discuss their concerns with the health adviser, who will ask if the student has had any treatment in the past, and if it was helpful. They may also ask the student about their lifestyle and living arrangements. After a discussion, they will advise the student about the next practical steps.

Students may also agree for the adviser to act as the link between the University and health services in the NHS to help them to obtain treatment, if needed. This may include making recommendations about other sources of support in the community and from voluntary organisations.

With the student’s permission, the adviser can liaise with tutors and other staff at the University, to coordinate support between the different services involved in a student’s care.

Further appointments can be made if it is appropriate, and if it would be beneficial for the student to see someone else from the Counselling, Health Advice and Chaplaincy Service, this can also be arranged.

Appointments and enquiries

To request health advice, whether physical or mental health related, or to book an appointment students should complete the Counselling and Health Advice Request Form.

If they know the type of health advice they require they can indicate this, and provide any other relevant information. The student will then be contacted by email or phone with advice in response to the enquiry, or to set up an appointment.

Telephone enquiries or emails to are also welcome.

Urgent appointments

Urgent appointments lasting 30 minutes are available during office hours for enrolled students who need to talk to someone quickly when there is a crisis or a matter that needs urgent attention.

To book an urgent appointment, please call 020 7514 6251.

Registering with a doctor (GP/General Practitioner)

It is very important for students to register with a GP in London at the beginning of their studies, even if they are already registered elsewhere in the UK. For those with pre-existing health conditions early registration is especially important.

Prompt registration will avoid delays in accessing health care when it is needed the most. Free NHS treatment is accessible to all UK and EU students, and those International students on a full-time course lasting more than 6 months. Prescriptions and dental treatment may need to be paid for.

The NHS Choices website has a facility to search for GP services. Students can also contact the Health Advisers by email at for more information about registering with a GP in London.

Holborn Medical Centre

If your address is within any of the following postcodes you are eligible to register with Holborn Medical Centre:

E1, E2, E3, E8, E9, EC1, EC2, EC3, EC4.

N1, N2, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8, N10, N15, N16, N17, N19, N22.

NW1, NW2, NW3, NW5, NW6, NW8, NW11.

W1, W2, W9, WC1, WC2, SW1.

The Holborn Medical Centre is located 64 Lamb's Conduit Street,  London, WC1N 3NA. To register with Holborn Medical Centre visit the website

Hurley Group

You can also register online at one of the Hurley Group GP Practices if you live in their catchment area. Please visit the Hurley Group website for more information.If your postcode is not listed above, and you do not live in the Hurley Group catchment area,  you will need to find a GP you can register with near where you live by using the NHS Local Search facility.

To find your nearest GP visit click on ‘GP’ under ‘Services near you’ and then type in your postcode. It will bring up a list of local GPs. You will need to visit the GP Practice and fill out a form. You may be asked to show ID, proof of address and proof that you are a student.

Urgent medical attention

Urgent appointments can be booked at your Doctor’s surgery during office hours. You can also visit an NHS Walk-in Centre or in an emergency, an Accident and Emergency department at a hospital.

Finding a dentist

To find your nearest dentist, use the NHS Local Search facility. Click on ‘Dentists’ under ‘Services near you’ and then type in your postcode to bring up a list of local dentists. If you want NHS treatment (rather than Private treatment which is expensive) you must make sure that the dentist you contact is taking new NHS patients. You need to visit the dentist to register and bring your GP details with you, as this proves you are entitled to NHS care.


Opticians can be found in most local areas. They provide sight tests and other optical services, and sell glasses and contact lenses. 

Charges for GP prescriptions, dental care and opticians

You have to pay some of the cost towards prescription charges, dental care and optical services but you may be eligible for help towards this under the NHS Low Income scheme

To apply you need to fill out an HC1 form, which you can collect from your College or at one of the Student Helpdesks at High Holborn, London College of Communication or Central Saint Martins. No appointment is necessary.  

Visit the NHS website to find out more about the NHS Low Income scheme.

Specific health issues

This section includes information about some specific health issues for students: measles and mumps, meningitis booster vaccinations, and ebola.

Seasonal Influenza ('flu')

Flu is a viral illness, cases of which become more common during the winter months. Further information, including advice on how to protect yourself against and how to treat flu, is available on a factsheet produced by Public Health England:

Seasonal influenza factsheet

Measles and mumps

There has been a substantial increase in the numbers of people getting measles and mumps. Students who were not given two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccination when they were younger are advised to contact their doctor’s practice.

Meningitis booster vaccinations

Young people born after September 1995 who received the Meningitis C vaccination as a small child will need to get the MenC Booster.

Further information is available on a leaflet for students produced by the NHS:

NHS leaflet about Meningitis C for university students.

This will reveal more about: Specific health issues Show less

This will show less about: Specific health issues Show more